Lord’s has long been seen as the Home of Cricket, the game’s spiritual headquarters and perhaps the most important single place in world cricket.
Its owner, Marylebone Cricket Club, has been based at Lord’s since 1814, and is the owner and maker of the Laws of Cricket and guardian of the Spirit of Cricket.
Lord’s is named after the Ground’s original founder, Thomas Lord.
The venue hosts cricket at all levels of the game, including international Test and One Day International Matches and University, school and village fixtures. Middlesex County Cricket club are based at Lord’s and host many of their matches at the Ground.
The design and build
In the London 2012 Olympic Archery Competition, archers are shooting from the front of the 19th century Pavilion – a Grade II*-listed building that underwent an extensive refurbishment programme in 2004–05 – and across the hallowed cricket square towards the Media Centre.
Commissioned for when Lord’s hosted the 1999 Cricket World Cup, the Media Centre has won many awards for its modern, almost futuristic design.
Although temporary structures such as seating have been installed to enable spectators to get closer to the action, comparatively little preparation has been needed to get this world-class venue ready for the Games.
After the Games
Lord’s will return to its traditional role as the Home of Cricket, providing a base for MCC, Middlesex CCC, the England and Wales Cricket Board and European Cricket Council.
Archery equipment from the training, warm-up and competition venues will be donated to schools and archery clubs across the country.