Traffic management and parking in Waltham Forest
Waltham Forest is one of the Host Boroughs for the 2012 Games. To ensure that operations run smoothly and safely, and any potential impact on residents and businesses is kept to a minimum, there are transport plans in place for parts of the borough.
The parking measures include the following:
- A residents and business parking protection area that will operate in Waltham Forest during the Games. The restrictions will be in place from Monday to Sunday, between 8am–1pm and 3pm–9pm and will apply to all roads south of Lea Bridge Road, including existing controlled parking zones (CPZs) in this area, between 16 July and 9 September.
- Existing CPZs will operate as they do now but their times will be extended accordingly. All existing permits, except visitors’ permits, will be valid throughout the period.
- Existing visitor permits will not be valid during the Games. An alternative free visitors’ permit scheme will be introduced to assist residents.
- Existing uncontrolled areas below Lea Bridge Road will be for permit holders only during the restricted times. All residents and businesses in this area will be able to get free 2012 Games parking permits to enable them to park as usual.
- Residents will be able to register one additional visitor vehicle, which qualifies for unlimited visits during the Games.
- Residents can also register their guests for up to four half-day visits per week (this will be eight per week during the transition)
- Businesses in the uncontrolled area will be approached by the local council over the coming month to identify customer parking near their business. Customers will be able to park free of charge in these businesses bays for limited periods to access shops and facilities
- There will be no change to Blue Badge parking.
You can see a parking information pack and a map of the new temporary event zones in the section below. The map shows the new event zones, while the pack will explain how to register for permits and visitors’ permits. You can also visit www.2012gamesparkingpermits.com for more information and to register.
The local area traffic management measures in this area include:
- no local area traffic management planned by LOCOG within Waltham Forest during the Games
- an Olympic Route network (ORN) and Paralympic Route Network (PRN) will be in operation to transport athletes, officials and Games Family to events. This is being delivered by Transport for London (TfL). Details can be viewed at www.getaheadofthegames.com
- as part of the TfL measures, there will be no access for general traffic to the slip roads off the A12 at Lea Interchange between 6am and midnight when the Olympic Route Network is in operation. A diversion route along Lea Bridge Road will be in place.
- there will be no right turn from Ruckholt Road into Homerton Road.
- access for local residents and businesses (including visitors, deliveries etc) will be maintained at all times.
You can see maps of the access and parking plans for Waltham Forest in the section below.
Walking and cycling routes
You can see a map of the changes to cycling and walking routes around the Olympic Park in the section below.