Traffic management and parking in Tower Hamlets
Tower Hamlets is one of the Host Boroughs for the 2012 Games. To ensure that operations run smoothly and safely, and any potential impact on residents and businesses is kept to a minimum, there are transport plans in place for parts of the borough.
The local area traffic management measures in this area include:
- closure of Dace Road at the junction with Monier Road. Access will be maintained via Smeed Road and Bream Street
- southbound closure of Wick Lane between the junction with Jodrell Road and Monier Road to ensure the safety of spectator movements between the Victoria Park Cycle Hub and the Victoria Gate entrance to the Park. A small diversion route will be in place for both buses and general traffic
- a vehicle permit checkpoint at the east end of White Post Lane, including parking suspensions on the north side of Rothbury Road, to allow emergency services access to the venue. Access to all properties will also be maintained
- closure of the Towpath cycle path for security
- an Olympic Route Network and Paralympic Route Network will also be in operation to transport athletes, officials and the Games Family to the event. This is being delivered by Transport for London (TfL). Details can be viewed at www.getaheadofthegames.com
- as part of the TfL measures, there will be no access for general traffic to the slip roads off the A12 at Lea Interchange between 6am and midnight when the Olympic Route Network is in operation. A diversion route along Lea Bridge Road will be in place
- there will be no right turn from Ruckholt Road into Homerton Road
- access for local residents and businesses (including visitors, deliveries etc) will be maintained at all times
The parking measures include:
- a residents and business parking protection area will operate in the borough during the Games. The restrictions will be in place between 8.30am – 9.00pm, from Monday to Sunday
- restrictions will apply to controlled parking zones D1 and D2 (Isle of Dogs), A4, B1, B2, B3 and new zone B4 (Fish Island) between 23 July – 9 September
- existing controlled parking zones will operate as they do now but their times will be extended accordingly. All existing permits will be valid and a free temporary permit will be available from the council to cover the extended controls
- existing visitors’ scratch cards will still be valid but can be used for longer periods. For example, during the week a five-hour visitor voucher used after 12.30pm will be valid until 9pm. On weekends, only one voucher is needed to cover the whole day
- there will be no change to Blue Badge parking
All residents and businesses will receive permit information through their doors in May/June.
Any specific queries should be directed to email@example.com
You can see maps of traffic management and parking plans for Tower Hamlets in the section below.
Walking and cycling routes
You can see a map of the changes to cycling and walking routes around the Olympic Park in the section below.