Traffic management and parking in Newham
Newham is one of the Host Boroughs for the 2012 Games. To ensure that operations run smoothly and safely, and any potential impact on residents and businesses is kept to a minimum, there are transport plans in place for parts of the borough.
The parking measures include:
- a residents and business parking protection area will operate throughout the whole of Newham during the Games.Restrictions will be in place between 8am–9pm, from Monday to Sunday
- the restrictions will apply to all roads in the borough, including existing residential parking zones, between 27 July – 12 August and 29 August – 9 September
- existing residential parking zones will operate as they do now but their times will be extended accordingly. All existing permits will be valid throughout the period and existing visitor vouchers will work as they do now. Additional visitor vouchers will be available from the council at a cost of £1 per day (existing restrictions per property will still apply)
- existing areas without control will be accessible to permit holders only during the restricted times. All residents and businesses in this area will be able to get free 2012 Games parking permits to park. Residents will also be able to register for up to 40 one day visitor permits.
- there will be no change to Blue Badge parking
You can see a parking information pack in the section below. It will explain how to register for permits and visitors’ permits in the event zone or visit www.2012gamesparkingpermits.com to register.
The local area traffic management measures in this area include:
- restricted access to Rick Roberts Way to ensure access to the Greenway Transport Hub and prevent congestion on the A11. There will be three vehicle permit checkpoints along Rick Roberts Way and Abbey Road to facilitate this
- southbound closure and restricted access to Manor Road between Memorial Avenue and Corporation Street to protect spectator movements from West Ham Station onto the Greenway. This will include two vehicle permit checkpoints
- marshalled controls on Canning Road, at the intersection with the Greenway, will be in place to protect spectator movement. Vehicle access will be maintained along Canning Road
- restricted access to Leyton Road to ensure the security of the Olympic Village, access for the Games Family to the Olympic Park and access for local residents and businesses. Restrictions will include six vehicle checkpoints in place and no access from Windmill Lane and Alma Street into Leyton Road
- restricted access on Warton Road between Biggerstaff Road and the venue
- an Olympic Route Network and Paralympic Route Network will also be in operation to transport athletes officials and the Games Family to the event. This is being delivered by Transport for London
- access for local residents and businesses (including visitors, deliveries etc) will be maintained at all times.
Further information will be given to those affected, about how this will work, nearer the Games.
Any specific queries should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
You can see traffic management maps of the access and parking plans available for Newham below.
Walking and cycling routes
You can see a map of the changes to cycling and walking routes around the Olympic Park in the section below.