Traffic management and parking in Hackney
Hackney is one of the Host Boroughs for the 2012 Games. To ensure that operations run smoothly and safely, and any potential impact on residents and businesses is kept to a minimum, there are transport plans in place for parts of the borough.
The parking measures in this area include:
- a residents and business parking protection area that will operate in Hackney during the Games. Restrictions will be in place between 8.00am–9.00pm, from Monday to Sunday
- restrictions will apply to controlled parking zones D (central and south), F, J, K, L, N, P and Q as well as an area of streets with no existing controls (see parking maps in the section below)
- existing controlled parking zones will operate as they do now but their times will be extended accordingly. All existing permits will be valid throughout the period and existing visitor vouchers will work as they do now. These restrictions will be in place between 20 July – 9 September (except for zone K, where restrictions will start on 21 June to provide parking protection from visitors to Victoria Park)
- areas without existing controls will be accessible to permit holders only during the restricted times. All residents and businesses in this area will be able to get free 2012 Games parking permits to park, as well as up to 10 visitor permits per month (valid for 24 hours). These restrictions will be in place between 21 June – 9 September
- businesses in areas without existing controls will be approached by the local council over the coming month to identify convenient customer parking areas. These businesses will then be issued with business visitor permits for their customers to use in these bays during the Games
- Blue Badge holders can park in designated Blue Badge bays (a clock card is only needed if the sign shows a time limit). Blue Badge holders can also park on single and double yellow lines with a clock card for a maximum of three hours subject to loading restrictions. However, you will either need to display a Hackney Companion Badge or register for a 2012 Games parking permit if you want to park anywhere else in the event zone
You can see a parking information pack in the section below. It will explain how to register for permits and visitors’ permits in the event zone or visit www.2012gamesparkingpermits.com to register.
The local area traffic management measures in this area include:
- no local area traffic management planned by LOCOG within Hackney during the Games
- an Olympic Route network (ORN) and Paralympic Route Network (PRN) will be in operation to transport athletes, officials and Games Family to events. This is being delivered by Transport for London (TfL). Details can be viewed at www.getaheadofthegames.com
- as part of the TfL measures, there will be no access for general traffic to the slip roads off the A12 at Lea Interchange between 6am and midnight when the Olympic Route Network is in operation. A diversion route along Lea Bridge Road will be in place.
- there will be no right turn from Ruckholt Road into Homerton Road.
- access for local residents and businesses (including visitors, deliveries etc) will be maintained at all times.
Any specific queries should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
You can see a map of the local access and parking plan in the section below.
Walking and cycling routes
You can see a map of the changes to cycling and walking routes around the Olympic Park in the section below.