World Sport Day took place on Monday 25 June 2012 and was a chance for schools to celebrate the athletes and cultures of the teams that will be coming to the UK for an amazing summer of Olympic and Paralympic sport.
London 2012 World Sport Day
With more than 200 Olympic teams and 170 Paralympic teams arriving in the UK this summer, London 2012 World Sport Day was a perfect opportunity for every school and community to join thousands of others for a mass, fun-filled celebration. London 2012 World Sport Day added a dash of international flavour to a week of school sport activities for Lloyds TSB National School Sport Week.
There were many different ways in which schools got involved in World Sport Day, including:
– hosting opening ceremonies;
– organising a ‘global showcase’, highlighting sports, languages, food, music and dance from around the world;
– performing the London 2012 Mascot Dance routine;
– creating the flags of chosen Olympic and Paralympic teams in fun ways; and
– decorating the school for World Sport Day and National School Sport Week celebrations.
Schools received a free event pack, containing branded stickers and posters to decorate their celebration, and members of London 2012’s Get Set network got their hands on an even bigger, better event pack containing an inflatable globe, giant banner, colourful bunting and more!
London 2012 World Sport Day was delivered by the Youth Sport Trust across the UK and by sportscotland in Scotland.