As the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games approach we look back to the previous years when London hosted the Games in 1908 and 1948.
To be in with a chance of winning you’ll need to read the ‘Terms and conditions’ at the bottom of this page, then answer this multiple-choice question correctly:
Down which street in Basingstoke did the Olympic Flame travel down in both the London 1948 and London 2012 Olympic Torch Relays?
a) Olympic Road
b) Torch Avenue
c) London Street
If you are struggling to find the answer, have a look at this photo from the London 2012 Olympic Torch Relay.
Tweet your answer to us copying the format below precisely. So, for example, if you think the answer is ‘A’ you would tweet:
I want to win @London2012 vintage train competition A
Please note: You must be following @London2012 on Twitter to enter this competition. This competition is only open to UK residents. If you have won, we will contact you via Twitter on Wednesday 18 July 2012. You’ll need to reply to us with the details requested by 10.00am on Friday 20 July 2012 so we can post your prize to you.
This competition closes at 12 noon on Wednesday 18 July 2012. Good luck! And remember to follow @London2012 on Twitter for all the latest updates.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Entering the competition
1. We, The London Organising Committee of the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games Limited, are referred to below as “London 2012”, “We”, “Us” or “Our”.
3. This Competition is only open to residents in the United Kingdom.
4. You must be following @London2012 on Twitter to be eligible to enter this competition.
5. You must be at least 14 years of age to be eligible to enter this Competition. By entering the Competition you confirm and warrant that you are at least 14 years of age on the closing date for entries and that if you are not at least 18 years of age that your parents/guardians have consented to your entry into the Competition and to the Rules, which they have read. If requested by us, you shall provide evidence of your age to us.
6. Employees or agencies of London 2012, their family members, or anyone else connected with the Competition may not enter the Competition.
7. Only one entry per person will be permitted and multiple entries will be void and the entrant(s) disqualified.
8. You may only enter this Competition as an individual. Any entries which in our opinion have been made via participation in a syndicate will be disqualified. Entries on behalf of another person will not be accepted and joint submissions are not allowed.
9. We reserve the right to verify the eligibility of all entrants.
10. Your entry must be your own work, must not be copied, must not contain any third party materials and/or content that You do not have permission to use and must not otherwise be in our opinion obscene, defamatory, in breach of any applicable legislation or regulations, or contrary to any of our sponsors commercial interests and marketing rights.
If We have reason to believe your entry is not your own work or otherwise breaches this paragraph 10, then We may not consider it.
11. The opening date of the Competition is 16 July 2012 and any entries received before this date will not be considered.
12. The closing date of the Competition is 18 July 2012 at 12 noon and any entries received after that closing date will not be considered.
13. You are responsible for the cost (if any) of sending your Competition entry to us.
14. If You have any questions about how to enter or in connection with the Competition, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘London 2012 vintage train competition enquiries’ in the subject line.
15. Two (2) winners will receive an 00 Gauge Electric Train (1948 or 1908). Prize options will be selected at random.
16. The Prize cannot be exchanged or transferred by the winner and cannot be redeemed by the winner for cash or any other prizes.
17. In the event of unforeseen circumstances or circumstances outside our control, We reserve the right to vary or withdraw any element of the Prize or offer an alternative prize of equal value. No cash will be offered.
Picking the winner
18. To be eligible to win the Prize, entrants must answer the main Competition question correctly.
19. In the event of there being more than one correct entry, the winners will be chosen at random.
20. The winner of the Prize will be notified on Wednesday 18 June 2012 via the Twitter account they entered the competition with. The winner will be asked to provide their name, email address, and contact number via Twitter Direct Message to @London2012.
The response to contact us will be required by no later than 5pm on Friday 20 June 2012. In the event that we do not receive a response by such date, We reserve the right to reallocate the Prize to another entrant.
21. We will dispatch the Prize on or before Tuesday 24 July 2012.
22. Details of the winners can be obtained by sending a stamped addressed envelope to the following address: ‘London 2012 vintage train competition’ competition winners, London 2012, One Churchill Place, Canary Wharf, London, E14 5LN.
User generated content
24. By way of summary only and without prejudice to the UGC Terms, the effect of the UGC Terms is that you will retain legal ownership in Your Competition entry but that you grant to London 2012 and its successors a non-exclusive, worldwide, sub-licensable, royalty-free and perpetual licence to use:
(i) Your Competition entry; and
(ii) any other material and/or information submitted with your entry or otherwise provided by You including your name, age and town or city of residence for the sole purpose of identifying You as the author of Your Competition entry.
(together “Your UGC”).
25. Our right to use Your UGC includes the right to copy, reproduce, modify, adapt, and otherwise communicate it to the public, including via our website and publicity materials, but for the avoidance of doubt we shall not sell or commercially exploit your UGC without your consent and, in this respect, the UGC Terms give us an option to purchase your UGC from You.
26. The UGC Terms include provisions in which (by way of summary) you warrant that:
(i) Your UGC does not infringe any copyright, right of privacy or any other third-party rights and does not contain anything that is defamatory, obscene or otherwise offensive; and
(ii) You own the copyright to Your UGC as its author and represent and warrant that you have (and will continue to have during the duration of the Competition) all necessary licenses, rights, consents, and permissions which are required to enable London 2012 to use Your UGC and You will provide evidence of such on our reasonable request;
(iii) Your UGC is Your own original work, that it is not defamatory, obscene and that it shall not infringe any third party rights including, without limitation, privacy and You will provide evidence of such on our reasonable request.
Publishing the winning entry
38. By entering this Competition and/or taking part in the activities forming the Prize, You agree to take part in or co-operate with a reasonable amount of publicity or other promotional activity and agree that we may publish your name and home town, and any photographs, films and/or recordings made by us or on our behalf and featuring you and/or your UGC.
29. We reserve the right not to publish or to cease to publish Your Competition entry for any or no reason including, without limitation, if we deem that Your entry is in breach of this paragraph or is in breach of any applicable law or regulation or otherwise may create a liability for London 2012.
Some other rules
30. We take no responsibility for entries that are lost, delayed, misdirected or incomplete or cannot be delivered or entered for any technical or other reason. Proof of delivery of the entry is not proof of receipt.
31. No purchase is necessary.
32. The Promoter of the Competition is London 2012, One Churchill Place, Canary Wharf, London, E14 5LN. Any complaints regarding the Competition should be sent to this address.
33. Nothing in the Rules shall exclude the liability of London 2012 for death, personal injury, fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation as a result of its negligence.
34. London 2012 accepts no responsibility for any damage, loss, liabilities, injury or disappointment incurred or suffered by any person as a result of entering the Competition or accepting any prize. London 2012 further disclaims liability for any injury or damage to You or any other person's computer relating to or resulting from participation in or downloading any materials in connection with the Competition.
35. London 2012 reserves the right at any time and from time to time to modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, this Competition with or without prior notice due to reasons outside its control (including, without limitation, in the case of anticipated, suspected or actual fraud). The decision of London 2012 in all matters under its control is final and binding.
36. London 2012 shall not be liable for any failure to comply with its obligations where the failure is caused by something outside its reasonable control. Such circumstances shall include, but not be limited to, weather conditions, fire, flood, hurricane, strike, industrial dispute, war, hostilities, political unrest, riots, civil commotion, inevitable accidents, supervening legislation or any other circumstances amounting to force majeure.
38. The Competition will be governed by English law. You irrevocably submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales.