I think that the range of activities demonstrates just how committed our contractors are.
- Giving staff the chance to experience life from the perspective of a wheelchair user.
- Holding seminars to talk about the importance of including access in design work.
- A session where Beijing Paralympians came and talked about the barriers they faced in taking part in sport and in participating in the Paralympics.
- Convening an international day. To celebrate the diversity of their workforce, one contractor flew flags of the countries that some of its employees originated from and staff were able to buy meals from the cuisine of those nations (one rep told me they had breakfast in Spain and Lunch in Kenya!).
- One contractor used diversity week as a vehicle to facilitate English language courses for their employees - other contractors are doing this too.
- A session was arranged to allow a female quantity surveyor to talk about her experiences and how she chose her career path.
- Quizzes were a popular theme: one contractor used a staff meeting to test people’s knowledge on diversity and awarded a substantial prize for the most correct answers.